Field service success needn’t cost the Earth
22nd April 2022 - April 22 is the 53rd Earth Day – an annual reminder that we need to nurture our planet.
This is something that we think about every day at BigChange. It is core to our Purpose of driving growth and sustainability in our community.
Protecting the planet is vital for every business, and field service businesses have a big part to play – which is why we are committed to helping our customers to become more sustainable.
- More and more customers want to see your sustainability credentials. 52% of us factor a brand’s eco-credentials into our buying decisions. Not working greener is a reputational and business risk.
- With fuel prices at record highs, every extra mile driven is not just pumping out more carbon. It’s also burning through profits.
- In the coming years, national and regional governments are likely to bring in more and more schemes to wean us off fossil fuels – especially diesel. The cost of not acting is very likely to rise.
We want to make it easy for our customers to work sustainably. That means:
- Better job planning: Do fewer miles and minimise your carbon footprint. Get the right teams, assets, and vehicles to jobs in the most sustainable and environmentally friendly way you can.
- Better routing: Smart routing to work out the best possible journey between jobs, saving time and fuel. BigChange users cut their fuel bills by an average of 10%.
- Lower-emission driving: Driver behaviour alerts and reports to help drivers cut out idling, speeding, and harsh acceleration – all of which harm the environment.
- Paperless working: BigChange is a paperless system. In 2021 we helped customers save 60 million sheets of A4. That’s roughly equivalent to 7,200 trees.
We also make it easier for firms to move to electric fleets with more limited ranges by optimising job planning and routing. The impact of vans on total UK emissions is growing: in 1990 they made up 12% of UK transport emissions; by 2021, that was 17%. Helping enable electric vehicles in field service businesses is therefore vital.
Compared to the first Earth Day in 1970 – when 20 million Americans took to the streets and parks to protest – humans worldwide are now releasing more than twice as much carbon into the atmosphere. We all need to act now.
We are committed to helping our customers to work sustainably – not just on Earth Day but every day.
SIGN UP FOR BIGCHANGE NEWS AND RESOURCES
By clicking ‘Subscribe’ you confirm you are happy to receive regular email newsletters from BigChange. You can unsubscribe from these emails at any time.