Senior Software Engineer
This role arises from BigChange being a rapidly growing mobile workforce management and enterprise resource planning business with over 1,600 business customers and 50,000+ users depending 24×7 on 99.9%+ availability and 100% security of our multi-tenanted, SaaS and mobile applications that process every aspect of their business and resource locations minute-by-minute.
The Engineering Development Team is responsible for ensuring the applications and supporting services and data sources are architected, developed, tested and deployed in a sustainable, highly available, secure manner. Whilst our systems are scalable in many respects, we constantly invest in new technologies and re-factoring all elements to enable rapid growth, excellent performance, better availability and respond to technology challenges and opportunities.
This role defines and delivers major technology feasibility, technology upgrade, technology introduction and re-factoring projects in collaboration with, and providing senior software engineering mentoring to, other developers. It requires deep and extensive technical knowledge across software engineering and infrastructure, but also the ability to directly develop both proof-of-concept and production solutions, test, implement and support in the best toolset for the job.
- Bring new ideas and best practice on design, software architecture and software development;
- Analyse and document existing software application components, domains and future component requirements using a range of contemporary techniques;
- Identify relevant design patterns, evaluate toolsets and technologies, and develop technical proof-of-concepts;
- Collaborates to refine, develop and test solutions with other developers;
- Develops unit tests alongside code;
- Deploy solutions from Azure DevOps in AWS using pipelines and CloudFormation;
- Writes clear and concise system architectural documentation, summary diagrams, runbooks and playbooks;
- Monitoring of systems and alerts to identify significant trends and issues, and to optimise solutions under load;
- Inspire, mentor and encourage colleagues to apply intelligently customised industry best practice.
- Reviews designs, and software written by other developers for quality, best practice and software engineering integrity.
- Participate in scrum calls and agile development;
- Monitor and review product and technology developments in the industry and present new ideas to BigChange
- Liaise and communicate to other departments such as Product Development, Testing and customer-specific software development teams to add value to their roles.
- Manage deadlines that are set by Chief Information Officer, Chief Innovation Officer & CTO, and Deputy CTO.
- Provide training support to other members of the company and be a brand ambassador to BigChange.
- Considered security at each stage of product and software specification, development and testing and in compliance with the Secure Development Policy.
- Manage BigChange’s personal data and confidential information responsibly, and maintain its quality, confidentiality, integrity and availability at all times. Report personal data and security near-misses and incidents promptly, and cooperate in their resolution.
- Be aware of and comply with the BigChange Health and Safety Policy and related legislation; report Health and Safety near-misses and accidents promptly and collaborate to document and resolve.
- Ensure data processing equipment assigned to you by BigChange, and any personal equipment used to process BigChange data or access BigChange systems, is kept secure and used in accordance with the Acceptable Usage Policy.
- Ensure that prospective and contracted suppliers are obliged to ensure BigChange personal data and secure information is protected contractually via NDA or contract, and by an effective set of controls. Security incidents relating to BigChange data is to be escalated to BigChange immediately upon discovery.
- 10+ years’ experience in a similar environment (Essential)
- Experience as a software developer (Essential)
- 3 years knowledge and experience of C# & .Net (Essential)
- Microsoft certified developer (Essential within 6 months of joining, support provided)
- 3 years knowledge and experience of SQL and NoSql technology (Essential)
- Data modelling, Domain Driven Design and Solution refactoring
- Knowledge and experience in Machine Learning (Desirable)
- Knowledge and experience in serverless (Essential)
- Knowledge and experience of microservices-based architecture (Essential)
- Experience in SaaS development (Essential)
- Application deployment in an AWS environment.
- Software architectures, development techniques, patterns
- Translation of business requirements into technical designs
- Hands-on experience of software development
- Test methodologies
- Cloud computing
- You’ll be an inquisitive technologist and naturally encourage others to be alike.
- You’ll convey a sense of credibility and trust within the team and BigChange
- You will have exceptional people skills and ability to objection handling where required
- Ability to work individually as well as a team with an adaptable and flexible approach to work
- You will have an organised and proactive approach to work
- Salary: Competitive
- Expenses paid for all overnight stays, subsistence and mileage whilst on business.
- 33 days holiday, plus bank holidays, plus ‘BigChange Birthday’.
- Pension plan (NEST)
- Gym membership assistance £20 gross pay monthly (for 12 months).
- Cash Health Plan
- “Motivational Mondays” – inspiring talks monthly from extraordinary people.
- Local fruit delivered weekly to the office.
- Being part of a supportive team with the ability to learn new skills and grow within the company.
- Experience cutting edge technology and be part of a company that is shaping the future.
All rewards are agreed between each employee and the company based on their role/offer letter and may differ from the standard
Location of work: Home-based, occasional visits to the BigChange Leeds office possible
Reporting to: Deputy Chief Technology Officer
Any offer is subject to the successful candidate obtaining a BS7858 Certification during their probationary period. BigChange reserves the right to with draw any offer if an employee is not able to obtain a BS7858 Certificate. The probationary period will be extended if all HR information is not complete by the end of the initial probationary period.
BigChange are an equal opportunities employer and welcome applications from all suitably qualified persons regardless of their race, sex, disability, religion/belief, sexual orientation or age.
To apply for this job use the link below and email us your details.Apply now