6 Features Of Job Management Software And How To Use Them
10 July 2023
In the fast-paced field services industry, efficiency is the new currency. But, as many of us know, managing a series of jobs, big or small, can quickly become a Herculean feat without the right tools. That’s where job management software swoops in, ready to be the superhero you never knew you needed. 🦸
Job management software, with its array of features designed to streamline your work, has become the bedrock of effective job management in field service businesses of all shapes and sizes. From scheduling to collaboration, reporting to customisation, this innovative tool brings a world of convenience right to your fingertips.
But, let’s face it, these features can sometimes feel overwhelming. And while these solutions promise the world, it can be tough to figure out where to start, what to use, and how to make it all work together seamlessly.
That’s why, in this blog post, we’re taking a deep dive into the key features of job management software and providing you with a simple guide on how to use them effectively. So whether you’re a seasoned user looking to optimise your software or you’re still exploring your options, we’ve got you covered.
What is Job Management Software?
So that we’re all on the same page, let’s start by defining job management software. (Feel free to skip ahead to the next section if you’ve got this covered.)
Job management software is a software tool designed to streamline and automate the way you manage your tasks, jobs, and projects. It helps with keeping track of schedules, managing resources, facilitating collaboration, delivering real-time updates, and generating insightful reports.
Whether it’s a simple to-do list or a complex project involving multiple teams and timelines, job management software allows you to keep everything under one roof. And the beauty is, it’s not just for larger field service organisations. Any field service business looking to bring a sense of order to their work chaos can benefit from it.
In the following sections, we’ll dissect some of the core features of job management software. We’ll show you not just what they are, but also how you can use them to make your work life more efficient and less stressful. Think of it as your personal guide to mastering job management software, without all the tech jargon.👇
Feature 1: Job scheduling and tracking
Ever tried to keep track of multiple jobs, their start times, end times, deadlines, and status updates – all in your head or on a traditional calendar? Yeah, it’s like herding cats, isn’t it? The good news is that job management software’s job scheduling and tracking feature is here to help.
As the name suggests, job scheduling allows you to schedule jobs, assign them to team members, set deadlines, and allocate resources. You can easily prioritise jobs based on deadlines, job importance, or client value, ensuring nothing falls through the cracks.
And that’s not all. With job tracking, you can stay updated on the progress of all jobs in real-time. No more chasing team members for status updates, no more second-guessing completion times. Everything you need to know about a job’s progress is right there on your screen.
So, how do you make the most of this feature? Here’s a step-by-step guide:
- Start by adding jobs: Begin by inputting all the jobs you need to track into the software. Don’t forget to add essential details like job description, due date, resources needed, and engineer.
- Schedule your jobs: Once the jobs are added, schedule them according to your plan. You can use the calendar view to see your schedule visually and adjust timelines as necessary.
- Track job progress: With the jobs scheduled, you can now use the tracking feature to monitor progress. You’ll see real-time updates on the progress of each job, including if it’s on schedule, delayed, or completed.
- Review and adjust: Finally, you can then regularly review your job schedules and tracking updates. If any jobs are falling behind, you can simply adjust resources or timelines accordingly.
(Easily allocate teams, assets, and vehicles to jobs using BigChange’s job scheduling software)
Feature 2: Collaboration and CRM tools
When it comes to managing jobs, two (or more) heads are often better than one. But coordinating these heads – that’s communication, feedback, document sharing, and updates – can sometimes feel like a logistical nightmare. That’s where CRM and collaboration tools in job management software step into the spotlight.
It provides a space where all your project communication lives, a place where files are shared and stored, discussions are logged, and updates are available for everyone to see. No more lengthy email threads, no more searching for that document someone sent you weeks ago. It’s all there, neatly organised, in your job management software.
So, how do you use these CRM and collaboration tools effectively? Let’s break it down:
- Share and store files: Use the file-sharing feature to store important documents and resources. You can upload and download within the platform. Say goodbye to endless email attachments!
- Communicate with clients: Provide clients with access to a white-label client portal, where clients can self-service job scheduling and updates.
- Review and track progress: Use tools to review work progress. Team members can update their job status, share accomplishments, and highlight issues directly in the platform.
- Celebrate wins: Finally, don’t forget to use this space to celebrate job completions, problem-solving, and team achievements. A little positivity can go a long way in boosting team morale!
(Give customers more control with a user-friendly online portal to book and manage appointments)
Feature 3: Real-time reporting and analytics
You know that feeling of satisfaction you get when you see a job through to completion? Well, imagine that feeling, but amplified by valuable insights that show you not only that you’ve finished a task, but how you did it, how long it took, what worked, and what didn’t. That’s the power of real-time reporting and analytics in job management software like BigChange.
At its core, real-time reporting gives you a live picture of your work progress. You can monitor job statuses, track timelines, oversee resource allocation, and much more – all in real-time.
But that’s just half the story. With analytics, you can dive deeper into your work patterns. You can identify trends, spot bottlenecks, uncover productivity insights, and even predict project outcomes. Essentially, it’s your window into the future, helping you plan, strategise, and improve your work processes.
Wondering how to leverage real-time reporting and analytics to your advantage? Here’s a quick guide:
- Set up your reports: Customise your reporting parameters based on your needs. You might want to track job completion rates, time taken per task, resource usage, and more.
- Monitor in real-time: Keep an eye on your live reports to stay updated on job progress. Spot any deviations from the plan and take corrective actions immediately.
- Analyse and understand: Use the analytics feature to understand the ‘why’ behind the data. Look for patterns, trends, and insights that can help you improve your job management, as well as forecasting capabilities for better cash flow management.
- Share your insights: Don’t forget to share these insights with your team. Reporting and analytics are powerful tools for team learning and improvement.
(With BigChange you can track job response times, first-time fix rates, safety checks, and more)
Feature 4: Mobile capabilities
The latest mobile technology has blurred the lines between our offices and the outside world, offering robust mobile capabilities that ensure your jobs never skip a beat – no matter where you or your team are.
Mobile capabilities in job management software mean your team can take everything for their jobs with them, quite literally in their pocket. From scheduling tasks to communicating with the entire team, tracking progress to reviewing reports – everything can be done using a smartphone or tablet.
But how do you make the most of these mobile capabilities? Here are some tips:
- Stay connected: Make sure every engineer downloads your job management software’s mobile app and logs in to your account. This will ensure everyone has access to all jobs, updates, and tools on the go.
- Get notified: Enable push notifications for important updates. The entire team can be alerted about job status changes, new messages, or pending tasks, so everyone is always in the loop.
- Keep communicating: Use the mobile app to stay in touch. Share updates, respond to queries, and give feedback, all in real-time.
- Review and adjust: Even away from your desk, you can review job progress and make necessary adjustments. Postpone a deadline, reassign a task, or add a new job – all from a mobile device.
- Use mobile-specific features: Make use of features that are unique to mobile devices, like What3Words for navigation or mobile cameras for documenting job progress, taking photos of work, and capturing signatures.
(BigChange’s mobile workforce app puts job management software quite literally in your team’s pocket)
Feature 5: Integration with other tools
Now, let’s talk about a specific set of tools that often play a critical role in any business – accountancy tools, like Sage and Xero. These tools manage your invoices, track your expenses, handle your payroll, and keep your financial records in order. By integrating your job management software with these accountancy tools, you create a powerful combo that handles not just your tasks, but also your financials.
What does this look like in practice? Imagine completing a job in your management software, then with a click of a button, you send an invoice via Xero, or even log your expenses in Sage. No more bouncing between different platforms, no more manual data entry, no more double-keying, and no more errors between systems. Simply decide whether to use Xero or BigChange, key information in there and it will automatically pull through into the other software platform.
So how do you get the most from integrating your job management software with accountancy tools? Here’s a quick guide:
- Set up your integrations: Connect your job management software to your accountancy tools. This usually involves logging into your accountancy tool through the job management platform and authorising access. (If you are using BigChange, our after-sales team can happily help with this)
- Configure settings: Adjust the settings to align with your business processes. Choose when to trigger invoices, which jobs to track expenses for, and more.
- Create jobs & track finances: Start creating jobs in your management software. The associated financial information – be it expenses or invoicing – will be automatically updated in your accountancy tool.
- Monitor and adjust: Keep an eye on your integrated system. If you notice discrepancies or areas for improvement, tweak your settings.
(It’s easy to connect BigChange to Sage or Xero so your team only has to enter financial information once.)
Feature 6: Flexible customisation options
Finally, when it comes to job management software, one size definitely does not fit all. Each business has its unique needs, workflows, and challenges. And while out-of-the-box solutions are great, the real magic happens when you can tailor the software to fit your business like a glove. That’s where customisation options come in.
Customisation in job management software lets you adjust and adapt the software to match your specific requirements. Want a particular view on your dashboard? You got it. Need a custom field in your task creation form? No problem. Looking for specific reports? Done. With customisation, the software works for you, not the other way around.
So, how do you make the most of these customisation options? Let’s break it down:
- Define your needs: Start by identifying what you need from the software. This could be specific features, views, reports, or workflows.
- Set-up your templates: Use templates to create a consistent look across all documents, eg job cards, invoices, quotations, etc. These can be set to automatically insert relevant information using ‘keywords’, which act like mail merge fields to automatically pull in information
- Explore customisation options: Dive into the customisation settings in your software. This could involve adjusting the user interface, setting up custom fields, creating custom workflows, or even defining your own rules for alerts and notifications.
- Set up and test: Implement the changes and give them a test run. This might involve some trial and error to get things just right. Don’t be afraid to experiment and iterate.
- Train your team: Once you’ve customised the software to your liking, ensure your team knows how to use it. This might involve some training or documentation.
- Review and adjust: Over time, your needs may change. Regularly review your customisations and make adjustments as necessary to keep the software in tune with your business.
(You can create a template for any job card, PDF document, email, or SMS that you want to send out from BigChange)
Job management made easy with BigChange
Job management software is more than just a tool; it’s a game-changer for field service businesses of all sizes. With features like job scheduling, collaboration tools, real-time reporting and analytics, mobile capabilities, integration with other tools, and customisation options, job management software empowers businesses to manage their tasks more efficiently and effectively.
In a world where efficiency and productivity are king, job management software is your trusted advisor, your right-hand man, and your productivity powerhouse. And with a little time, effort, and understanding, you can propel your business towards greater success. 🚀
SIGN UP FOR BIGCHANGE NEWS AND RESOURCES
By clicking ‘Subscribe’ you confirm you are happy to receive regular email newsletters from BigChange. You can unsubscribe from these emails at any time.